Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Resting in Rio Gallegos

I'm not sure hat this store is selling but I know it is one ugly shop.
Would you willingly stay in this hotel?

Even the taxi stand is vying for the 'Worst Design' award.

These shops are outside my hotel window. Some luckless family lives in one of the tiny concrete apartments upstairs.

Today is our third day in Rio Gallegos. I'm trying to recuperate a little so I can finish the trip. Today I went to the hospital in town. Since medicine is free here in Argentina I had good long wait to see a doctor. It was worth the effort though. She understood my problem, gave me an anti-inflamatory shot and a Rx for a strong anti-inflamatory to use for the rest of the trip. She was interested in our journey. She said she and her husband plan to drive from down here to Alaska for their upcoming 10th anniversary. They'll be doing it in a camper, it's less painful she said.
I'd be remiss if I didn't report on Rio Gallegos. It should be a lovely city. It is located on the coast with a large natural harbor. It is fairly affluent due to the oil in the surrounding plains and sheep exports. However it is a Godawfully ugly town. Each block is full of bare concrete buildings, poorly painted stores with an industrial, Soviet-style feel about them. Nobody in town seems to realize how depressing everything is. Could it just be my pain-filled outlook?
I'll be happy to leave in the morning, even if it is a painful ride.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugly city is a euphemism...

Douglas P. said...

Still enjoying your pictures. Will miss you blog.

Blog Archive