Thursday, December 3, 2009

A rare shot of Jeff on my Suzuki. He'd just fixed my chain and was test riding it.
Sierra de la Ventana - Sunset at El Mirador hotel and restaurant. This hotel is 370 miles from Buenos Aires and is a remarkably tranquil place. It is an area of farms and cattle ranches amid a mid-size rocky mountain area. I spoke with the grandson of the man that built the hotel/restaurant. He will eventually inherit the place. I asked this good looking 19 year old if he knew how fortunate he was. He looked me square in the eye and said 'I certainly do'.
Sierra de la Ventana

Sierra de la Ventana

Part of the El Mirador property at Sierra de la Ventana

Mac at El Mirador

At Viedma you take a tiny waer ferry across the Rio Negro. It takes 8 minutes and costs about 50 cents. Many people commute to the other side of town on the ferry as the river bisects the city.


A wind mill along the pampas between Viedma and Buenos Aires

I drove 100 miles roundtrip to see whales and sea lions here. Note the lack of both.

These kids were about to get on a whale watching boat. I wish them luck.



Comodoro Rivadavia, to Puerto Madryn, to Viedma – 600 miles.

Wind was the essence of the trip to Puerto Madryn. I actually thought I might be blown off the road by winds reaching near-gale force. The roads here have only a narrow gravel shoulder. It is usually steeply banked in order to drain the roads. To be forced onto the shoulder doing 60 to 75 mph would guarantee a high speed ‘get-off’ and would most likely involve death or something close. We treat the gravel shoulders as if they were mountain ledges.

The ride from Puerto Madryn to Viedma was our first warm ride in nearly a month. The roads were boring but smooth and the sun shone all day. Mac and I followed the GPS which added 50 miles to the day. Viedma is a lovely and wealthy tourist town built on both sides of the River Negro. A water taxi brings you across.

Everyone is meloncholy because there are only two rides left!

4 comments:

Douglas P. said...

Jim,we have enjoyed your journey and today, 12/5/2009,is the last day on your intinerary. There is the somberness of an adventures end.

Look forward to your wrap-up.

Thanks, Douglas & Vories

Jim said...

Thanks Doug. I'll pause and reflect here in Buenos Aires for four days then post some thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Jim-John Patrick here. Guess you will be in B.Aires by time you read this. Trust that your dad is out of hosp. and waiting to hear of your tales soon. We had about five inches of wet snow today but looks like will clear for Sun. and be in 40s most of coming week. I want to go back and read your entire blogs again, but just dawned on me that they may disappear now that the trip is over. How much longer will the be accessible? Enjoy your stay in B.Aires and have a safe trip back. John

Anonymous said...

John,
Thanks for reading my blog. I intend to read it from start to finish myself. It was so much travel in so little time I need to read it in order to remember where I've been.(Go to the start by scrolling all the way to the bottom)
I intend to keep the blog up indefinetly. Blogspot is a free service and until they charge a high fee I'll leave it up.
I've been sitting around Buenos Aires with the group planning our next adventures. I almost have Mac lined up for a trip from England to the Far East in 2013. That gives you plenty of time to take the Motorcycle Safety Federation's motorcycle rider course. Mac learned when he was 50 and is perhaps our best rider.

Blog Archive