Sunday, November 15, 2009

Return of the treacherous vacunas

A gang of adolecent vacunas plots their next strike
This group of viscious beasts made a dash for me this morning. I lurched to the right narrowly missing the one with the smirk on his face. I heard him say 'Next time' to his mates.
Sure they look harmless, except they're two hundred pound bags of meat when they jump into the road.

Part of the Maldives display in San Julian. Mac's nervous.


The latest Suzuki babe

This girl and her mom insisted we let them take our photos when we stopped at a petrol station. Mac and I agreed only if they would let us take their photos on our bikes.
I'm still hoping to prove the earth's curvature down here increases the wind velocity


Comodoro Rivadavia to Puerto San Julian – 288 miles

Ruta 3 is the coast road down the East side of Argentina. It follows the sea for hundreds of miles. We rode at an average of 60 mph on good roads without traffic. We did have plenty to contend with though. Early this morning I spotted a herd of Vacuna on the side of the road. We haven’t seen any of these creatures since the high plateau of Peru. Vacuna are in the camel family but are shaped like a deer, though heavier. They have a lovely red/brown coat but are treacherous for a motorcycle. Like deer they tend to wait for you to get close then lunge in front of you. One of our guys hit one last year and is still recovering from a shattered shoulder. They jump as high and almost as gracefully as Gazelles.
Oncoming drivers flash their lights to warn of trouble ahead. Several times it turned out to be Vacuna. Once they rushed across the road in front of me causing me to break hard. The next flashing headlight signal I assumed was for more Vacuna. It was not, it was for an Emu crossing the road. I thought it was an ostrich, it looked just like one. Mac told me later that he remembered seeing Emu the last time he was in Patagonia. I’m not sure what the difference is but will try to photograph the next one I see.Puerto San Julian has a large Argentine navel base. They proudly memorialize the fact that the navel and air forces that fought the British in the Malvinas/Falklands dust-up came from here. I think Mac is telling people here he is Canadian.

2 comments:

ben said...

Sorry, Jim, the horizon is perfectly flat to me. Ben

Anonymous said...

No matter what others say, I think it is still interesting and useful maybe necessary to improve some minor things

Blog Archive