Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Unbearable pain, I can't go on!

Lakeside Bariloche mountain
Suzuki on the rocks

We've had two days in Bariloche, Argentina. My sciatica was so bad I basically crawled into the clinic where they gave me the Ozone treatment. When I awoke this morning I realized that it did no good, except perhaps replenish an infinitesimal portion of the ozone layer protecting our atmosphere. I decided not to have my second dose. Instead I laid around our hotel all day in severe pain. I tried to walk around the block but had to stop every ten steps, double over and wait for the pain to subside. Kevin and Julia came to my room and said going on the next several days of riding would be foolish. It is 800 miles of bad, gravel/sand roads with potholes and corregated washboard areas for mile after mile. To his great credit Kevin offered me four choices:
1 - Continue with the group and be in constant pain bouncing along while standing on my pegs. The doctor yesterday confirmed my theory that slamming my spine's discs together for so many miles caused the sciatica flare-up.
2 - Put the Suzuki in the van and ride with good old Jeff for a week.
3 - Ride an alternate route for 1,000 miles on paved roads and meet up with all of the blokes in Calafate.
4 - Take a three day ferry ride with my bike on a sort of inland passageway down the Chilean side of Patagonia and meet the blokes in Calafate.

I must hand it to Kevin he went out of his way to look after me. He even called the ferry company to arrange times and costs. For me it was not a difficult decision. The only choice that would keep the trip from top to bottom intact was #3, the longer paved road. I announced my choice at a team meeting this evening and told the group I'd elected to take the long way down. This suggests they are taking the easier, shorter route. Actually, their ride will be much more challenging than mine.

THIS JUST IN: Mac says he wants to avoid the dirt roads also and is joining me. I know full well Mac is just making sure I don't go alone. It is a gracious offer and I gladly accepted. We'll leave in the morning, have no hotel reservations to bother about and just drift South, stopping as we please. It should be quite an adventure. We'll meet up in Calafate and spend the last two weeks travelling with our group. Blog postings may be sparce for a while. There are many more penguins than there are Wi-Fi conections. However, the posts I do make should have a new perspective.

4 comments:

Ben said...

Jim, Take care and don't try to be a hero. Ben

Douglas P. said...

Just returned from a modest 7 day bike trip to the Gulf Coast. Have missed your blog and sorry to read about you pain.

If you have time, now or after your trip, we would enjoy your assessment of the gear you took, did not take and how you packed enough to negotiate the variations in weather.

The group dynamics seem to have been a major challenge at times and your suggestions for putting together a small, cohesive group of about 6 riders for a 2 month trip would also be welcomed.

Please note that a donation was made last month and I have received and acknowledgment from MS but it has not been noted on your donor list. It is not necessary my name be there but when you return you might have them check for missing donations.

Hope your pain eases up enough for you to enjoy the final days of your fantastic journey. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and pictures with us.

Douglas P.

River Guy said...

Good luck... glad you found a palatable alternative and that your mates are taking care of you.

Anonymous said...

Jim:-John Patrick here. I am glad that you were able to shake comments out of the many, like me, who have been following your odyssey. Silke asked Eddie back in July to get in contact so he could advise me how to post comments since I am not computer literate. I do not know if you will see this or not. I have followed your blogs on maps (but do not see Calafate)and have wanted to comment to each. Maybe we can discuss as part of a group of friends offering ideas for your book which you must write after a much needed rest.

Blog Archive